Does the suggestion of healthy pizza sound like a nonsense to you?
Check out this recipe for a healthy alternative to take away pizza and treat the family to a fun and nutritious meal. As always, I would encourage you to use organic vegetables however if you find it hard to source your favourite vegetables organically choose fresh & local. Wash your vegetables in water and white vinegar to help strip off pesticides.
Cauliflower Crust Pizza*
1 large head of cauliflower, cut into chunks
2 free range eggs
1 tsp gluten free yeast
1 tablespoon organic oregano leaves
2 tablespoons coconut oil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
400g can of organic whole peeled tomatoes
1 tablespoon oregano leaves
Freshly minced garlic
Freshly ground pepper & sea salt to taste
Free range, organic minced chicken
Thinly sliced zucchini
Organic Basil leaves
12 organic cherry tomatoes, sliced
Cashew Cheese or Organic Goats Cheese
Preparation & Cooking:
• Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade
• Wrap a pizza stone with aluminium foil and rub it with coconut oil and place it in the oven to preheat for 15 minutes (use a large baking tray with baking paper if you don’t have a pizza stone, this will not require preheating)
• Fill a saucepan 1/3 of the way with water, fit with a steamer basket, and place on the stove
• In a blender or food processor, pulse the cauliflower & oregano leaves until it is the texture of snow
• When the water is boiling, steam the cauliflower for 5 minutes
• Remove the cauliflower, drain, and squeeze dry. The drier you make it, the crispier the crust
• Mix the cauliflower with the eggs, yeast, coconut oil, salt & pepper.
• Pat it out into a circle on the pizza stone or baking tray
• Bake for 35-45 minutes, until crisp on the edges
• Remove from the oven and set aside to cool
• Reduce the oven to 160 degrees centigrade
• Combine pizza sauce ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth
• Top pizza base with sauce, sprinkle on minced chicken, sliced zucchini & tomatoes and dollop on the cashew cheese
• Place the pizza back into the oven and bake for 10 more minutes or until golden and crisp
• Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing, garnish with basil leaves and serve with love! Xx
* Pizza Base Adapted from Jodi Nadler
How to manage those sugar cravings!
Are you trying to eat good clean foods and limit your calorie intake to achieve a healthier body weight? Do you find yourself feeling hungry, but don’t have calories to spare? As you change your diet to eliminate processed foods and refined sugars you may find yourself experiencing intense cravings for sugar. Try some of these handy tips for reducing hunger and suppressing cravings as you transition to a Clean Food Lifestyle!
- Do something active – go for a walk or bike ride or clean the house!
- Drink water – thirst is often mistaken for hunger, so make sure you are drinking at least 2 litres of water per day and remember your post workout re-hydration doesn’t count!
- Brush your teeth – it sounds crazy, but brushing your teeth provides something to do with your hands as well as creating a minty fresh mouth, making you less likely to succumb to sugar cravings
- Have a cup of herbal tea such as Green Tea, Chamomile or Peppermint Tea to make yourself feel fuller or try a cup of boiled water with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
- Have a rest or go to bed early – our bodies often mistake food cravings for tiredness. Give your body a chance to recharge, and you will feel less like needing that sugar binge.
- Go to the gym or call your PT and schedule an extra HIIT Training session. Your pre & post workout snacks are bonus meals and don’t count in your daily allowance!
Be patient with yourself, it is normal to be hungry while your body detoxes and adjusts to your new lifestyle choices. It is important to listen to your body and if you feel sick or ravenously hungry, choose one of the following clean food choices as a between meals snack. Remember whenever possible choose organic or locally grown produce!
Healthy Snacking Choices
|Sautéed Kale (fresh herbs & 1tsp Coconut Oil)
|Small Green Apple
|Raw Almonds (Activated is best)
|Coconut Yogurt (Natural)
Congratulations on choosing to nourish your body with whole clean foods! Give your body time to adjust to adjust and you will soon start to feel like a lean, mean fighting machine!
Want to know more?
There are some great resources available to help you make good lifestyle choices try some of the following:
- It Starts with Food by Dallas & Melissa Hartwig
- I Quit Sugar by Sarah Wilson
- Raw Food/Real World by Mathew Kenney & Sarma Melngallis